The goal of the association is to
- support the piano playing of children and young people as a hobby and as a subject of professional studies;
- enliven the concert offerings of the city and the region with piano and piano-based chamber music concerts; and
- enhance the community life of piano-music professionals, students, and enthusiasts in the area.
Established forms of activity for the association include
- Tampere Piano Camp (held every year in June),
- The Pirkanmaa Piano Festival (taking place every November),
- Tampere Piano Association concerts at Tampere City Hall (held every year in line with the mayor’s decision),
- member meetings and discussion events, and
- the Tampere Piano Competition (held every four years).
The Tampere Piano Association organises the nationwide Tampere Piano Competition. The first Tampere Piano Competition was held in April–May 2017, and the next will be in April 2021.